Vegetable Biryani Recipe – How to Make?
Vegetable biriyani is a popular mughlai dish. You can relish this dish at the restaurants and also make this biriyani at your own home’s comfort. This can be done with different vegetables of your choice like potatoes, peas, carrots, cabbage, cauliflower, pumpkin, etc. You can use almost any vegetable that is lying in your fridge and on a lazy weekend night this can be something you can enjoy a lot. This is a rich dish and since not any kind of non-vegetable products like chicken, eggs, mutton or even fish is used in this, this can be very good for anyone who follows vegetarian diet. You do not need to rush to restaurants to have this dish. This is actually quite simple to make. You can try this at home. This is a popular dish in many parts of the country. Some people even use sour curd and tamarind pulp into this dish. Some people love to temper this dish with lots of fried onions and curry leaves. That is a known feature of this dish when you give it the south Indian touch. The flavours vary accordingly. For a simpler version, a simple ginger garlic paste and some biriyani masala is all that you will need. You can use lots of fresh herbs which you can get your hands on. Especially parsley, mint leaves and coriander works very well with this dish. Using other herbs like rosemary or thyme will give it a different flavour which is not quite traditional biriyani like. You can also use some kewra water or rose water.
Today we will show you a nice recipe for vegetable biriyani which you can prepare very easily.
( See More: Mushroom Biryani Recipe )
- 1 Cup good quality long grained basmati rice
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tbsp green chilli paste
- Half cup chopped mint leaves
- Half cup chopped coriander leaves
- Half cup chopped parsley leaves
- 1 tomato diced
- 1 cup sliced onions
- ½ tbsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp Biriyani masala
- Turmeric, coriander and cumin powder
- Bay leaves 3-4, whole black peppers, cardamoms, cloves and cinnamon
- Cashew nuts 1tbsp
- Almonds 1 tbsp
- Raisins 1 tbsp
- Sugar and salt to taste
- Refined oil or desi ghee as per requirement
- Water as per requirement
- 2 cups vegetable of your choice (bell peppers, potatoes, peas, cauliflower, cabbage, baby corns, button mushrooms, carrots, broccoli, etc)
- Lemon slices for decoration
( See More: How To Make Paneer Biryani )
- In this dish you can use almost any type of vegetables as you want to. However you must remember that if you use beetroot or raddish in this recipe then the first one will impart reddish color to the dish and the latter one will make the dish taste very different and pungent. So it is better to avoid these types of vegetables which have their own high flavour or color.
- You need to remember that if you are going to be using hard vegetables like potatoes or pumpkin then you should either fry them a little bit or boil them a bit before using for the biriyani. Rice cooks faster than these types of vegetables and hence your vegetables might not be cooked thoroughly when you cook all of them together with the rice.
- Now to start with the biriyani, you will need a large bottomed vessel. 20 minutes ahead of cooking, soak the rice in water. This will help the rice to cook faster.
- After 20 minutes, drain the water from the rice and keep it aside. Start with the rest of the process.
- Take the wok and put it on medium flame. Put 2tbsp of oil. Put in the dry fruits and half cup of onions. Fry till the nuts are roasted properly and the onions turn transparent. Sprinkle a pinch of salt. Keep it aside.
- Put 2 tbsp of more oil. Put the rest of the onions. Fry these till slightly transparent. Put in the ginger garlic paste, the green chilli paste and sauté for a while. When these are cooked, put the tomatoes and all the rest of the spices excepting the garam masala powder viz. The whole garam masala (add more oil if required), the bay leaves, whole pepper corns, the biriyani masala, turmeric, coriander powder, cumin powder. Mix this and sauté well for 2 minutes stirring constantly so that it doesn’t get burnt. Put in the chopped herbs. Sauté a bit more.
- Put in all the vegetables and mix these up. Let the flavours get into these vegetables and add 1 tbsp more oil if required. Add half a cup of water for the flavours to get soaked by the vegetables.
- After you have sautéed these for 5 minutes or so, put in enough water for the rice to get cooked.
- Check the salt and sugar. Add the rice into this. Now cover and cook this for 20 minutes. Check at intervals of 10 minutes to make sure that all is getting cooked properly.
- You can use a rice cooker or pressure cooker to cook biriyani as well. When the biriyani is done, check the flavours once more. Sprinkle the garam masala powder now. Turn the flame off and let it sit for about 10 more minutes with the lid closed.
- Take a serving bowl out and lay one layer of the biriyani. Next sprinkle some of the roasted nuts and onions mixture. Lay another layer and again lay the rest of the nuts and onions mixture.
- Put slices of lemon on top and serve while still slightly hot.
- You can serve fried papad or onion raita with this.
( See More: How To Make Vegetable Noodles )